Isn’t everyone looking for ways to save money when eating out? Eating out at restaurants can be so much fun but also so expensive. Especially when you add in kids, your bill just got really high!
My husband and I used to love eating out but now it’s a rare occurrence. Not only is it hard with young kids and their zero patience but it can be very costly too. Dining out for us is a rare treat now. We love to do it so it’s important to get the best deal. Here are some great tips on how to save money when you eat out.
- Go at Lunch: Most restaurants offer a lunch menu that is sometimes half of what the dinner meal is. The lunch menu can be limited but it’s a great way to save. If you can do the actual lunch time maybe do a really early dinner (4ish) because some places offer lunch until that time. Some places even offer happy hour meals at a discount too. This is a great way for a deal on food!
- Skip the drinks: I know I know. Drinking an adult beverage or some good old iced tea is my favorite but it can be so expensive!! One time I was out with some co-workers and my iced tea was $3.50!!! I couldn’t believe it! I was so mad and told myself I was never going to do that again. Water with lemon is a great option and is better for you!
- Split a Meal: Usually an adult meal is plenty of food. See if you can split the meal and really save. A lot of times restaurants will have a special with a 3-course meal that includes an appetizer, meal, and dessert. This is perfect for 2 people!
- Skip the Kid Meals: When the kids are with us getting 2 kid meals out can cost more than splitting a regular meal on the menu. Check the prices and sometimes I bring in apple sauce or yogurt for the youngest of kids too. Most places don’t mind or even notice. We have our kids split a meal a lot. If you tell your waiter most will split the meal on 2 plates so it’s perfect!
- Eat Out with Gift Cards: We ask for restaurant gift cards for holidays and it’s great. It makes us happy and gives us something to look forward to. A lot of credit card companies and banks will offer reward programs too for using their services. I always exchange our points for restaurant gift cards.
These are my best tips on saving money when dining out. I always love to learn new tricks so please share your ideas with us!